Mid-Atlantic Regional Groups — Central Virginia
Central Virginia Networking Event
The Central Virginia Region of the MAC hosted a fall networking event titled "Business Basics: What you need to know to start and grow a successful business". It was an exciting opportunity to come out and meet fellow chapter members and also to learn how to establish and run a business in medical writing.
Speakers Hollie Lee and Jason Ness from the Office of Economic Development in Charlottesville discussed the critical steps in starting and growing a successful business, including how to take advantage of Procurement opportunities with the government.
Discussion topics included:
- Developing a business plan
- Choosing a business structure and registering your business
- Navigating the governmental rules and regulations for home-based businesses: licenses, permits, tax id, deductions, etc.
- Conducting market research and identifying opportunities
- Creating a marketing strategy
- Selling to/contracting with the government
Report on recent chapter events here.